In the past eight years, the Indian defence industry landscape has been undergoing structural changes that have been guided by the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s clarion call for “Make in India” and “Aatmanirbhar Bharat”. The Indian Army has distinguished itself in carrying the baton of Aatmanirbhar Bharat, designing its industry outreach programmes, and creating broad interfaces with academia and the Start-up ecosystem. The Army’s efforts have started to bear fruits in the form of not only enhanced and enthusiastic responses from the industry but also flow of orders to the industry. The Problem Definition Statements put forth in this compendium have been viewed as an effective model for industry and academia outreach. They provide the requisite initial inputs for the industry to understand and analyse the Army’s requirements and present appropriate technology-based solutions, which can be evaluated by the Services. At the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM), as India’s sole industry association for the aerospace & defence sector, commitment is towards working closely with the Indian Army and all other stakeholders to create an enabling environment for the Indian defence industry and identifying new avenues for their growth.
The Problem Definition Statements achieve two important purposes.
1. to highlight the synergy that exists and is necessary between the Indian Army and the Industry to support ‘Make in India’ and promote self-reliance.
2. challenge the industry to develop state-of-the-art capabilities using contemporary technologies viz. Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Block-Chain, Big Data & Analytics, Robotics and Automation. In fact, it is evident that each Problem Definition Statements in this compendium seek to harness one or more of these technologies.
Below are the broad topics which are of interest to the Indian Army for developing cutting edge technology/infrastructure, which will enable them to be better prepared in the field for enhanced threat analysis and subsequent decision making.
1. Artificial Intelligence
2. Block Chain
6. Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance
7. Individual Capability Enhancement/ Survivability
8. Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems
9. Armament & Ammunition
10. Fire Control System
11. Sighting System
12. Situational Awareness
13. Track Expedients/ Mobility
14. Material Handling
16. Power Solutions
19.1. Two Way Rotary Conveyor (RC) Motor For Tanks (T-90/ T-72)
19.2. Alignment Guide for Bone Resection in Knee Replacement Surgery
Please see the attached compendium for further details on each of the broad topics in order to narrow down your area of expertise/interest.
Deadline for submission of complete proposal: 20 March 2023