INDIA-JAPAN COOPERATIVE SCIENCE PROGRAMME (IJCSP) CALL FOR PROPOSALS-2022
The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, New Delhi and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) conduct the India-Japan Cooperative Science Programme (IJCSP) to promote bilateral scientific collaboration between Indian and Japanese scientists. Applications are invited from eligible Indian researchers /scientists to submit proposals for Joint Research Projects and Joint Workshops/Seminars under IJCSP.
I. Areas of cooperation:
The support is available to the following scientific areas:
(a) Physical Sciences
(b) Chemical Sciences
(c) Life Science & Agriculture
(d) Mathematics & Computational Science
(e) Astronomy & Earth Science
(f) Materials & Engineering
(g) COVID-19 related (Pre and post COVID)
II. Who can apply:
1. The joint application must include one Indian and one Japanese Principal Investigators, who would be responsible for technical as well as administrative coordination of the project and its periodic scientific and financial reporting to DST/ JSPS respectively.
2. The Principal Investigator (PI) and other investigators in India should be scientists/ faculty members working in regular capacity in Universities/ Deemed Universities/ Academic Institutes and National Research & Development Laboratories/ Institutes as well as working in private nonprofit institutions that carry on R&D activities. It is preferred that a member of the project team may be designated as Co-PI. The Indian Principal Investigator (PI) should not be retiring or leaving the parent institute during the proposed duration of the project.
3. The Japanese PIs must be full time researchers employed at Universities or other research institutions recognized by JSPS. Further details in respect of Japanese participants JSPS website (www.jsps.gov.jp) may be referred to.
4. The Indian applicants who are in any way involved in the implementation of two or more projects that were previously supported by the DST (International Group) and that are not expected to be completed by 31st March 2023 are not eligible to be a member of the research team.
5. Indian and Japanese PIs must submit the same project proposal to the respective Authorities responsible for the implementation of the Executive Programme. Proposals submitted in only one Country will not be considered for evaluation.
6. Projects must refer to activities to be completed within the period of validity of the Executive Programme and must be drafted in English.
7. Each Principal Investigator (PI) must submit one proposal only. All applicants must fulfill national eligibility rules to apply for mobility grants (see below and check national annexes for specific requirements). Proposed collaborations should build on and reinforce already existing research activities between teams in both countries and should contribute with significant added value to these activities. Funding will be granted within the limits of available annual resources of each party.
III. Duration of the Project:
The duration of the projects would be up to two years. (Visits to be completed within one year and 10 months).
IV. Kind of support available:
1. The sending side would provide the international travel cost and receiving side will provide local hospitality including accommodation charges, per-diem and local travel. DST provides the following support under the Programme: Costs for the exchange of researchers and contingency @ Rs 25,000 per year will be financed and NO other support like consumables, manpower or equipment etc should be expected or proposed under the Mobility programme.
2. For Indian Researchers – Cost of International airfare to and from the designated research location, visa fee, airport taxes, overseas medical insurance premium for the approved visit duration and airport transfers in India.
3. For joint workshops/seminars to be organized in India, local travel cost of selected Indian participants and organizing expenses may also be considered for support as per DST norms. Due to pandemic, virtual workshops/seminars are encouraged.
4. For Japanese Researchers – Cost of accommodation in a guest house, per diem and domestic travel expenses in India including airport transfers as per DST norms.
V. Evaluation of Proposals
1. Proposals will be initially evaluated at national level. Project proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
-Scientific relevance of the research project
– Methodology and documentation
– Coherent Qualification of the applicants
– Added value of the proposed staff exchanges for project activities
– Added value to the bilateral cooperation
– Contribution of the project in addressing societal challenges
– Use and dissemination of results
Preference will be given to applicants having ongoing national project on same problem and wish to connect with their counterpart through IndoJapanese joint collaboration to bridge the research gap through mobility grant in accomplishing the objectives of the ongoing national project.
2. Proposals will be evaluated independently by the Department of Science and Technology in India and JSPS in Japan using their own procedures. Decision towards funding will be mutually agreed based on the gradings (on 1 to 10 scale) received on the two sides. Coordinators are likely to be informed in March/April 2023 about evaluation results. The jointly approved projects are likely to be started in June 2023.
3. Please note that only jointly submitted proposals to DST and JSPS will be considered.
VI. Contact Information
For more details, applicants may contact:
Dr. (Mrs.) Ujjwala Tripti Tirkey,
International Cooperation (bilateral) Division,
Room No. 19 B, S & T Block –I,
Department of Science and Technology,
Ministry of Science and Technology,
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road,
Tel: +91 (0)11 2659 0377; +91 (0)11 2686 4642
Call closing date: 6th September 2022.
Deadline for submission of concept note/expression of interest to R&D Department –August 22, 2022, EoD. The project proposal in prescribed format or the concept note as the case may be, should be sent to Dean R&D (firstname.lastname@example.org), with CC to Associate Dean (R&D) (email@example.com) well in time.
For more information, please see the attachment and visit https://dst.gov.in/callforproposals/call-proposal-2022-under-india-japan-cooperative-science-programme